International Students

U.S. educational institutions host large international student population at different levels of educational programs. International students come to the U.S. with F-1, J-1, or M-1 visas to pursue their respective programs.

Usually, F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors are admitted for D/S (duration of status) and M-1 (vocational trainees) are admitted for a specified period. Form I-20, IAP-66 or DS-2019 serve as a guide to when a program, including practical or academic training ends.

International students have to maintain their status and are subject to certain continuing requirement.

Institutions have Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) and Designated School Official (DSO) for F-1 and M-1 and  Responsible Officer (RO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for J-1 who serve as their primary Department of Homeland Security contact. The student's records are tracked through Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

International students must keep their I-20, IAP-66 and DS-2019 current and pursue a full course of study with limited exceptions. They may, at times be in violation of thier status, which could have serious immigration consequences.

Upon completion of their intended and authorized course/s, the students may be eligible to certai benefits and have career options. There could be restrictions applicable to M-1 and J-1 students. J-1 students may have limited waiver options avialable. F-1 students may be eligible to change of status to H-1 if they have a job offer and eventually apply for permanent residence through PERM Labor Certification or certain other higher priority fast-track immigration process.

Thus, if you are a F-1 or M-1 student or a J-1 exchange visitor pursuing your studies or working with Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Cirrucular Practical Training (CPT) you may contact our office for legal consultation on various issues relatig to maintenanec of your student status, career options, non-immigrant and immigrant visa availability or anything related to immigration matter.